#H#ogwarts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Christmas

Merry Christmas!
It's a time of cold cold fun,
'Cas this season is sure to be the one,
Have a great Christmas!
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Senior Staff

Headmistress: Nocturne,
Headmaster: ShockBox
Deputy: TheJoker?
Deputy: Cookiedough505

High Inquisitor: Apply

SS Advisor: British-247
Heads of Houses
Gryffindor: Epiphone247
Hufflepuff: Gabrielt16
Slytherin: Tanz23
Ravenclaw: Jarademo12

Housepoints

Gryffindor: 10

Hufflepuff: 13
Slytherin: 15
Ravenclaw: 20

A NEW Debate about HP {expect it to be funny}

2 posters

Go down

A NEW Debate about HP {expect it to be funny} Empty A NEW Debate about HP {expect it to be funny}

Post  TheJoker? Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:21 pm

Harry Potter. Probably the most successful book of the modern-day society apart from The grand old Bible.

Harry Potter, I think is so successful because it ISN'T very original. It's like Marmite, you love it or hate it, (which is arguably one of the dullest catchphrases due to the fact 1000's of people probably LIKE the frankly disgustingly sour taste of Marmite).
TheJoker?
TheJoker?
High Inquisitor
High Inquisitor

Number of posts : 438
Habbo Name : TheJoker?
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Character profile
Character name: Leon Monsafa
Job: High Inquisitor & Dueling Teacher

Back to top Go down

A NEW Debate about HP {expect it to be funny} Empty Re: A NEW Debate about HP {expect it to be funny}

Post  Tim Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:36 pm

Well, not being a brit, I wouldn't normally know what Marmite is, but I looked it up, and apparently, its some sort of bread spread. Now, since I know nothing about it other than that, I won't pursue it.

If you are saying that Harry Potter is not original, than you are right to a certain extent, but not wholly. Usually, stories that have a central hero all share things in common. They are from an obscure past. They grow up not really knowing their own father. This is represented in George Lucas' "Star Wars", Harry Potter, and Christopher Paolini's "Eragon". That is where it would seem that it is plagiarized. Some animals of fantastical stories are used as well, such as centaurs, and of course dragons, but they are fair game. JK goes as far as creating her own creatures to create her own story. Examples of this include Hinkypunks, and the Acromantula.

Tim
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Number of posts : 328
Habbo Name : ShockBox
Registration date : 2008-10-11

Character profile
Character name: Fabian Peverell
Job: Headmaster; Chief Warlock;

Back to top Go down

A NEW Debate about HP {expect it to be funny} Empty Re: A NEW Debate about HP {expect it to be funny}

Post  TheJoker? Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:45 pm

Yes, precisely.

But it's like the certain characteristics of main characters in the book, the resemblences, Gandalf and Dumbledore both take the role almost like of God from the Bible. Even Tolkien based Lord of the Rings on the Bible, apparently, and I don't see anyone criticizing J.R.R Tolkien because he took an idea from a certain story and placed it into his own.

I know some friends who say that Harry Potter being "unoriginal" is "unthinkable". Well, I think it is thinkable. TOO bloody thinkable. It's like the England Soccer Team in 2008, who failed to qualify for the European Cup in 2008, he said that "England qualifying is just UNTHINKABLE", then afterwards, shamed by the words coming out of his mouth, he realized it was thinkable.

I personally dislike J.K. Rowling, due to the fact she has ALLOWED Harry Potter or "writing" to control her lifestyle now. Don't forget, she is also a normal person, I mean, she made up the plot of Harry Potter on a TRAIN, and now she's paid more than the Queen. She takes the words from other languages and uses them as spells, a lot of things from Harry Potter are transcripted from SOME form of language or writing.
TheJoker?
TheJoker?
High Inquisitor
High Inquisitor

Character profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:52 pm

Well, if that is your argument, then it means that every author that ever existed is a plagiarist. Every author borrows something from another author. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the story of Gilgamesh, but it has been said that even the Bible borrowed some of its concepts from that. In Gilgamesh, the character of Urshanabi, or the boatman, is comparable to that of Noah.

Now, being an American, I don't follow soccer at all. I have no idea as to what goes on in athletic world other than Track and Field, the NFL, NBA, and MLB. If the English team did now qualify, then I guess it is unthinkable, considering they are considered one of the more powerful and favorited teams in the world.

Tim
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Character profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheJoker? Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:00 pm

England AREN'T one of the most powerful teams. They're one of the LEAST powerful teams. (Laughter from me). Don't get me wrong, I do like Harry Potter, I like it's concept. I don't however, like the way if it's set in the 1980's. Surely everything would be a little bit more old fashioned. I mean, LONDON for example?! It sounds so GLAMOROUS in the 1980's from Harry Potter... In the early 1980's London was a complete shithole! It almost still is! And the language also, it doesn't seem like the tone in which 1980's children WOULD talk in, maybe Warner Brothers just decided to do that to make it more appealing to the "younger generation" but I would've preferred it if it was set in the PAST tense.

That's another reason why I dislike J.K Rowling, she ended the Harry Potter series with a chapter with Harry's children in, probably one of the most fasinating chapters apart from Sirius Black's death, or Voldemort and his Death Eaters in the forbidden forest, how on EARTH are Warner Bro's going to put Harry's children into film context?! They're going to end the Harry Potter Film Franchise very CHEAPLY this way, and all credit goes to J.K Rowling.
TheJoker?
TheJoker?
High Inquisitor
High Inquisitor

Character profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:07 pm

Like I said before, I know nothing about soccer, European soccer none the less.
Now. The Harry Potter Franchise is not set in the 80's. Rather, it is set in the 90's. Rowling made the time frame in the book start from the Sorcerer's Stone, and added a year every time she wrote a new book. Children would be talking the way they did, because in the books, not only were they teenagers, but they did not talk in an elegant way either. They talked that way typical teenagers would. A bit of rudeness, and a speck of ignorance. If you, as a teenager, don't speak with any form of this at all, then you are sadly mistaken.

As for the final chapter of the book, the epilogue; It really WAS one of the more fascinating chapters from the books. When they make the film for the movie, it shouldn't be too hard to make it seem in context. A simple caption at the beginning of the scene should do the trick. "17 years later". Don't under estimate the people at Warner Brothers. They know what they are doing. Their wit has gotten them this far. I think it will take them further.

Tim
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Character profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheJoker? Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:17 pm

It'll be good to see how they pull it off, but I'm sticking to my original view, and I'm not changing it, it's going to be VERY cheap at the end, no matter how hard they try to make it all tidy. I do like the Harry Potter franchise, don't get me wrong. J.K. Rowling definitely could've made it better, but it wasn't. She got it as good as she thought as was going to get it, and with the amount of fans she got from these seven books, (possibly more from spin-off books), she probably didn't NEED to make it much better.

The thing I am looking for is this supposed website which was rumored to be set up by J.K. Rowling. After hp-lexicon shut down (which I was slightly disappointed about), apparently she sued them because she wanted to make a similar website. This is what I wanted to hear. Something for the fans. I think it'll be great for RPG's which are based on Harry Potter, and it should cause huge success
TheJoker?
TheJoker?
High Inquisitor
High Inquisitor

Character profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:23 pm

Well, it didn't matter whether or not she could have made it better. The fact of the matter is that she created something that millions of people around the world have read.
Now, I don't want to step on your toes or anything, but I was under the impression that hp-lexicon was still under operation.

hp-lexicon.org

Tim
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Character profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down